Spring Break 2005 - Death Valley and LegoLand
Kent and I went with Quynh and Khanh for a week of southern
California. We spent two days in Death Valley and one day at
LegoLand. And more than 1200 miles of driving.
We stopped at Red Rock Canyon State Park on the way to Death
Valley. It was our first chance to see the desert wild flowers,
and Khanh's first attempt at bushwacking (around a waterfall that was
too steep to follow.)
- Kent and Khanh heading down the canyon - small and large
- Khanh above one of the drops - small and large
- Kent came for the rocks, we thought the Indian Paint Brush was
spectacular - small and large
- Kent heading down the ridge - small and large
Day 2 - We made it to Death Valley. After a stop for supplies, we
headed up to the Race Track and started climbing Ubehebe Peak.
Everybody made it to the saddle.
- Quynh above the grandstand - small and large
- Khanh and Kent above the grandstand - small and large
- Khanh, Kent and Malcolm above the grandstand - small and large
- Khanh, Kent and Quynh above the grandstand - small and large
Kent and Malcolm headed to the top of Ubehebe Peak, but missed the
- Quynh on the way up, Kent is already there - small and large
- Khanh at the top, looking northeast - small and large
- Quynh and Khanh with the Saline valley in the background - small and large
- Kent with the Saline valley in the background - small and large
- Kent near the top of our hike - small and large
Quynh's pictures from the top
The winds were pretty fierce on the Playa.
Khanh still had energy for a trip to the bottom of Ubehebe
crater. Malcolm liked lying on his back on the bottom.
- Khanh at the top with wildflowers - small and large
- Khanh at the bottom of Ubehebe Crater - small and large
- Khanh at the top of Ubehebe Crater - small and large
This was said to be a once-in-a-hundred year bloom for the flowers.
There weren't as many varieties as previous trips, but there were large
sections of the valley that were covered in flowers. It was
amazing. This is now day 3 of our trip.
Kent enjoyed climbing the sand dunes. Definitely more sand
than we have at home.
We got rained on... and a sandstorm. It was pretty at a
distance. It was fierce up close.
Lots of time to be with friends and family
- Quynh taking pictures - small
- Khanh and Kent eating ice cream - small and large
- Malcolm and Kent at Badwater (there was water covering Devils
Golf Course) - small and large
LegoLand - Day four
The boys enjoyed a sword fight
Kent smiled a lot that day.
Kent smiled a lot too
Is this a pig or a dog?
Kent couldn't resist the climbing wall, or the cars
Lots of things to build
- Kent and the space shuttle - small and large
- Kent took this shot of George Washington getting his ear cleaned
- small and large
- Kent and the train - small
- Khanh and the mission - small
- Kent was impressed that this sign was made of lego - small and large
Both boys enjoyed building and racing their own cars.
We drove back via 101 and Santa Barbara. It was a long drive, but
a good trip.
Last updated April 19, 2005. Copyright (c) 2005 by Malcolm
Slaney. All rights reserved.